Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Preparing for Summer


It may not officially be summer but is sure does feel like it is.  During the spring and summer months the need to be outdoors is mandatory, especially when little people want to escape from indoor boredom.  The first thing I make sure I do before applying any makeup is to apply sunscreen to my face and body, regardless on weather it is sunny or cloudy.  With all the skin cancer scares and the amount of time we spend outside it is important we always put sunscreen on.  One of my favorite sunscreens for all ages is Shiseido Ultimate Water-Resistant with SPF 60.  


I like how it is not greasy and a little goes a long way.  If for some reason I am not using this particular brand for my face, I use the Origins Brighter by Nature Moisturizer, which has 35 SPF.  When my skin feels extra dry or I have had one too many cups of coffee, this works great since it’s a great moisturizer.
  


Two of my other favorite sunscreens are Johnson & Johnson Baby Daily Face & Body Lotion and Badger Unscented SPF 30+.   Applying sunscreen in the morning isn’t enough though, it’s important to re-apply mid-day especially since we sweat it off or if we are playing in the pool or beach.  Whenever we head to the beach I see parents slathering sunscreen on their kids and themselves but applying it while your there isn’t when you should apply.  All sunscreens, if you read the label, clearly indicate you should apply 30 minutes before you are exposed to the sun.  I have yet to come across one sunscreen label that did not read this in their directions. 




When I am looking at sunscreens I avoid any with active ingredients that read: Oxybenzone, Retinal or insect repellent.  Vitamin A is not something you want on your skin during the day and exposed to the sun.  If you don’t believe me, Google it!  And don’t get me started on spray sunscreen, NO BUENO.

I have not gone completely “Chemical-Free”-obviously, but I do cut down wherever possible.  

For me applying sunscreen isn’t enough though.  Protecting my eyes is important as well.  My family and I go nowhere during the day without our sunglasses.  From the youngest to the oldest … sunglasses is a must.  And because sunglasses and sunscreen can’t provide shade, a hat completes our protection; however, I am guilty of skipping on the hat.  I am working on that though. 

I hope this post got you thinking on what you do or don’t apply to your skin before you head out the door this summer.  Enjoy the Vitamin D outdoors with safety!

-Hizles


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...